Thursday, March 10, 2011

Crazy Horse...or Crazy People???



On Tuesday, I got to join 2 first-grade classes on their field trip to Crazy Horse Memorial. I so look forward to field trips because of the "alternative" education that they provide. Sitting in the classroom all day isn't my cup of tea, so I like the opportunity to get out and learn new things from places. Tim and I visited Crazy Horse in the fall, and I enjoyed getting to see the memorial, and the amazing, crazy-huge mountain carving. The memorial was started in 1948 when sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski was commissioned by Native American Tribal Elders to build a monument in rememberance of a great leader, Crazy Horse. The monument is not yet finished, but the head of Crazy Horse is completed. Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to see in the pictures I took. We actually went on a snowy day...imagine riding a bus through snowy mountain roads with 50 kids inside! It was quite an adventure. While visiting the memorial, we got to do a scavenger hunt for a number of items around the museums and workshops. It was fun to get to browse through the many documents, cultural pieces, and pitures that display Native American livestyle. The children really enjoyed it, and I was thankful for the chance to go with them.
After it was all done, I must have been really tired -I fell asleep on the ride home!

No comments:

Post a Comment