Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homecoming: Voted "Summer's Best Event"

Homecomming was, by far, the most exciting event of my summer. I was glad to be busy in the weeks leading up to Tim's return, as all of the excitement of having him home would have driven me crazy if I hadn't had something to keep me occupied. The date for Tim's return was estimated, guestimated, and finally determined to be July 27th in the evening. Several days before his return, I reactivated Tim's phone so he could call me as soon as he got into the United States. So, on the afternoon of the 27th, I got a phone call and a text from him, letting me know that they were safely stateside and would be departing soon for the final flight of their journey home. We asked our friends the Roisums to be a part of our homecoming celebration by joining me at the base for the event. After finishing last-minute touches on the house, to make sure it looked great for Tim, I got all dolled up, and went to dinner with the Roisums at TGI Fridays; after that, we headed to the base. It took a minute to get Anne & Mark through the gate, but we were soon in the Pride Hanger, waiting on the edge of the runway in anticipation of the incoming flight. We didn't have to wait long. In the evening sky we soon saw a small light that grew bigger and bigger as it approached. The anticipation was high as the plane touched down on the runway, causing a series of applause from all of us watching. The plane taxied and soon stopped right in front of us. As the plane doors opened, another chorus of applause, hollers, and whistles was accompanied by the sirens of the fire trucks and police cars that were parked to welcome home the troops. The sun was beyond the horizon by now, and as the troops deboarded the plane, it was hard to see who was who...after all they were all in miliary uniforms of some sort. Anne was the first to spot Tim, then Mark. As Tim made his way through the crowd, Jack and Noah asked where he was, and I was on my tiptoes to try to spot him. Finally he came into view, and I ran forward to meet him, rushing into his arms for a hug and throwing mine around his neck. He was HOME, finally!


We spent a few minutes talking with Mark, Anne & the boys, and then the Roisums had to leave, to get the boys to bed. Mark, Anne, Noah & Jack, thank you for being a part of our "Summer's best event"! We are honored by your friendship and grateful for the homecoming videos and pictures we have from you!
Tim and I had to stick around the hanger until all of the luggage was unloaded. We had a good time walking around saying hello to old friends, giving and receiving hugs, and enjoying the reality that we were now together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment